My Top 10 Movies of 2011



2011 has been a fairly good movie year. In the early months of 2011, the movies I saw were mostly from 2010-- a happily self-imposed prerequisite before watching the Golden Globes and the Oscars. But the following months after the awards season came the parade of Hollywood blockbuster movies, courtesy of my gig as a PinoyExchange.com movie reviewer of newly released movies that began in February. These commercial movies mostly make up my 2011 movie year, and although some of them did not provide me a soul-satisfying, mind-blowing experience, they are nonetheless very good movies worth watching the second, or third time around.


So, here's my Top 10 Movies of 2011, in no preferential order:

1. Super 8
2. The Adventures of Tintin
3. X-Men: First Class
4. Crazy, Stupid, Love.
5. Rise of the Planet of the Apes
6. Ang Babae sa Septic Tank (local indie)
7. One Day (the movie that made me cry in 2011)
8. 50/50
9. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2
10. Thelma (local indie)

And in case you also want to know...

My Top 5 movies that I saw this year, but not released in 2011:

1. 127 Hours (2010)
2. Trust (2010)
3. Easy A (2010)
4. Rabbit Hole (2010)
5. Howl (2010)

My Top 5 Worst Movies of 2011

1. Like Crazy 
2. No Strings Attached
3. Mga Anino sa Tanghaling Tapat (local indie)
4. Paul
5. Drive

Soundtrack of the Year

1. Breaking Dawn


2011 movies now stacked up near the player for early 2012 movie-watching (YEY!!!):


1. Tree of Life
2. Melancholia
3. Martha Marcy May Marlene
4. Carnage
5. Moneyball
6. We Need to Talk About Kevin




What's yours? :)




So many interesting 2011 movies that I haven't seen yet. Just patiently waiting for clear dibidi copies. Hahaha...

All in all, 2011 has been an entertaining movie year. But without the 2010 nominated films, it would have been a so-so movie year for me. 

Well..HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Here's wishing us a plethora of soul-satisfying and intense cinematic experience in 2012!



Comments

michymichymoo said…
I was only able to watch three of your top 10. :)
Anonymous said…
^Which ones? And did you enjoy them? :D
jary said…
Breaking Dawn part 1 didn't make it to your top 10 lol.

Movies that I'm looking forward to in 2012 are Breaking Dawn part 2, Snow White and the Huntsmen, and another one which I forgot the title lol
totomai said…
nice list. i also like watching movies but i am more into foreign films (not hollywood mainstream).

if you are interested, movies i like are posted on my tumblr account
http://onlyviewedinright.tumblr.com/

:-)

PS

is this your new URL?
Anonymous said…
@totomai, I love all kinds of films, it's just that the movie review gig has made my 2011 a year of Hollywood Mainsteam movies. Hehe. Yup, this is my new URL. :)Will visit your tumblr site. Thanks!
Anonymous said…
^Saw ur list. Here's my Top 5 Most Favorite Foreign films...so far:

1. Iedereen beroemd!
2. El Crimen del Padre Amaro
3. Cinema Paradiso
4. La Vita e Bella
5. The Motorcycle Diaries

^_^
totomai said…
Thanks! actually i am posting one movie trailer per day on that tumbr site (my friends been asking me to have a site recommendation for them, thus the birth of that tumbr site) :-)

Happy New Year!
Shirgie Scf said…
I agree about Paul included in the worst movies..that was one nasty movie ever
amity said…
127 hours was good, but not my type. Septic Tank was boring, except for the part where Eugene Domingo talks about the script. so many better Pinoy movies, like Keka and Red Shoes: http://sanjuanmakati.wordpress.com/2010/03/15/red-shoes-yes-to-this-romcom/
Carmel said…
Nice list. I wasn't able to see Planet of the Apes though. I'll try to buy the DVD :)

Looking forward to the movies coming out early 2012!
Pria said…
Unfortunately in Australia we get a lot of movies released up to 3 months later than the US release date. So I will reveal my top 10 once I have seen:
1) The Descendants
2) The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
3) Shame
4) Hugo
5) The Artist
6) The Muppets
7) Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
8) Young Adult
9) J Edgar
10) Martha Marcy May Marlene
11) My Week with Marilyn
12) Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close
Pria said…
BTW, I have seen 5 of your top 10 and like them as well.

I liked Drive too, but I wouldn't put it in my top 20.

As for foreign films, I also like La Vita e Bella. Have you seen Amelie, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Swedish version), and Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon? They are also my favourite non-English language films.
Ruth dela Cruz said…
I used to get a lot of invites for screening, but I don't get to attend, and I missed alot of movies. Thanks for the list, will probably just watch them online :D
Anonymous said…
@Pria
Yes, I have seen Amelie and Crouching...
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo? I didn't know that a Swedish version exists. Will look for a copy. :D

Excited to see Hugo, The Artist, The Descendants, and Shame, too.:)

@Ruth
You're welome. :)
Rhoda Fajardo said…
I liked 'Rise of the Planet of the Apes' and 'One Day'.

Rise of the Planet of the Apes is a very interesting science fiction movie. I actually think that it is possible for chimps to be as smart as humans . . . or even smarter.

Anne Hathaway and James Sturgess look good together. However in the movie, Anne's British accent could use some improvement. James Sturgess did otherwise.

This year, I can't wait for the screening of 'The Avengers' and the next installment of 'G.I. Joe' I'm really a big fan of action movies based from popular action tv cartoons. =)