REVIEW | This Means War (2012)



This movie is proof that you can never rely on trailers.

I had zero intention of watching This Means War when I saw the preview, but circumstances have pushed me a little to watch it and review it for you, dear movie buffs. And, boy, was I pleasantly surprised! I never expected  that I'd be doubling over with laughter. Can't remember the last time when I cracked up terribly inside the movie house, along with the audience, and waking up the following day still remembering some of the hilarious scenes.

Best friends FDR (Chris Pine) and Tuck (Tom Hardy) are top CIA agents whose bromance is ruined when they realized that they are both infatuated with the same girl-- the feisty and lovelorn product evaluator Lauren Scott (Reese Witherspoon). What began as a gentlemanly agreement between the two to fight fair in the name of love, ends in a heated and hysterical competition filled with absurd spy tactics that will elicit a lot of LOLs. Adding to the equation Lauren's best friend Trish, played by comedienne "Girl Behaving Badly" Chelsea Handler, as a bored mother wanting to live vicariously through Lauren's life, the movie becomes even more thigh-slapping hilarious.



Directed by McG (Terminator: Salvation), This Means War is a fast-paced popcorn flick brimming with witty lines, with great chemistry between the main cast. What actually makes it a riot of a comedy is the well-written screenplay; the characters firing off intelligent humor with such speed and precision that is perfectly streamlined with the high-level of testosterone in the movie's crazy spy game.

Only one complaint: Although Handler delivers her lines perfectly, oozing with the usual deadpan and sarcastic humor you see in her talk show Chelsea Lately, her eyes are creepily empty. Zero acting in the eyes, which is actually bothersome. But because the script is great and she has the gift of gab, you'd still find yourself bursting with laughter whenever she shoots off her colorful and playful commentaries



This Means War is a crazy, fun, action-packed romantic comedy that will de-stress you, and make you momentarily forget how unexciting and depressing the line-up of Best Picture Oscar nominees is for this year.

I'd see this movie again.

4 out of 5 stars

This Means War hits Philippine theaters on February 22, 2012





Comments

stacy said…
If you say 4 out of 5 I should watch this! I totally trust your judgment!
Dan O. said…
Nice review. All of these leads try their hardest, but the script just lets them down too much with terrible jokes and very ugly feeling underneath this premise. I just thought this one was completely stupid and it’s really surprising to see some major critics back it up. Check out my review when you get the chance.
Unknown said…
And now, I shall watch this.
Aldous said…
I saw this movie too. My favorite scene was when one of the agents got shot on the neck with a dart then fell asleep. I laughed so hard after that one. Definitely a two thumps up